Friday, March 14, 2014

Gluten Free Organic Split Pea Soup Recipe in the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker

Organic Gluten Free Split Pea Soup made easy with my quick and easy recipes that are easy on the budget and good for you.  I found it works best in the slow cooker or crock pot.  That way it won't burn or boil over.  Yes, I have done both!  I minute I turn on the stove and put the pot on the burner add the ingredients I walk away into the other room and go back to what I was doing and totally forget I have something cooking until it boils over.  It creates such a mess and usually burns my food, so I now put my beans and soup in the slow cooker and don't have this problem anymore.
I have Celiacs disease which is an allergy to gluten and gliadin.  Two proteins found in grains that are not easy to digest and cause mal-absorption in some people.
I don't take pictures of my food but decided I will start doing that to show you just how good the food looks that I eat.  So, be on the lookout for pictures with my next recipe.
I also have food allergies so I have to rotate my food every 4 or 5 days, which means I don't eat the same things every day.  Here is a list from my food diary log to help you understand what I mean and how to keep track of what you eat and what might be causing you problems.
Monday - Breakfast: Quinoa and butter
                 Lunch: Black-eye peas and quinoa
                 Dinner: Turkey and sweet potato
Tuesday - Breakfast:  Oatmeal and butter
                 Lunch: Black beans and spaghetti squash
                 Dinner: Flounder and yucca
Wednesday - Breakfast: Buckwheat Hot Cereal with Sesame Butter
                      Lunch: Pinto beans and butternut squash
                     Dinner: Chicken and multi-grain pasta and acorn squash
Thursday - Breakfast: Oven baked pancake (eggs and amaranth flour) and 2 scrabbled eggs
                   Lunch: Split peas soup (homemade)
                   Dinner: Tilapia and zucchini

If you have allergies or digestive issues you should think about rotating your foods like this and see if you start to feel better.  My only beverage is 10 to 12 cups of water a day.  It might be more now since I have to take 15 pills at every meal.  I can't swallow with just water so I have to take them with my food as I am eating.  My daughter taught me how to do it and it works great.  I would choke with just water to the point of it getting in my lungs and not being able to breath very good and coughing until I turned red in the face.  Not a fun experience to say the least.
Okay, now let's get to the fun gluten free recipe I said I would share with you today.

Money Saving Split Pea Soup by Marsha Jaramillo

Ingredients: 1 to 2 bags Organic green and yellow split peas, water, large crock pot, salt, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic and 1 teaspoon onion if you can eat it.  I can't so I leave it out, but it is good in it if you can have it add it along with the other spices.  All spices and herbs are organic and ground.

Rinse the peas in a strainer or colander until the water is clear.  Add them to your slow cooker and fill to the top with purified water.  Add in your other ingredients and turn on high and cook until soft and smooth about 5 hours.  If I put mine on at night I put it on low and cook it overnight.  Serve with rice, potato or pasta and enjoy!

The split peas are very cheap about $2 a bag.  I buy mine in bulk from shop organic along with all my dry beans.  I order their minimum to get free shipping!

3 comments:

katiecupcakes said...

I love slow cooker recipes! Thanks for sharing!

Kristin Aquariann said...

I look forward to you posting photos of your recipes! This one sounds great.

Natalia said...

Great recipe!
(I forgot that used to always have buckwheat at home! I actually love it for the taste)