Ingredients: 8 slices bacon 2 cups milk 1 1/4 cups water
1 cup quick cooking grits 1 /2 teaspoon salt 1 /2 cup maple syrup
or buckwheat hot cereal 4 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350f. Grease 1/1/2 quart round casserole or souffle dish. set aside.
2. Cook bacon in large skiller over medium high heat until crisp. Blot on paper towel.
Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
3. Combine milk, water, grits and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in syrup and bacon drippings.
4. Crumble bacon, reserve 1/4 cup for garnish. Stir remaining crumbled bacon into grits.
5. Beat eggs in medium bowl. Gradually stir small amount of grits into eggs, then stir back into remaining grits mixture. Pour into casserole dish.
6. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Top with reserved 1/4 cup bacon. Garnish with chives.
For variations use hot buckwheat cereal in place of grits, for a gluten free alternative.