Sunday, March 6, 2011

Coffee Filter Seed Starters

Hey Dear Friends,

  I started some heirloom seeds this year with things I had on hand from my kitchen.  These are some the ideas you can use instead of peat pots to start seeds in.  I think anything that is biodegradable will work that is also chemical free.  I used natural coffee cone filters and empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls.  I just cut the paper towel roll in half.

  Fill the filters with good organic potting soil or compost and plant a few seeds in each one.  I had some little pots and a teapot that I used and put one in each.  You know those plastic colorful storage baskets you see for kids, well I had three of those not in use and my husband drilled holes in the bottoms of each one and I lined up the filters in one of them. 

The filters stay wet which keeps the soil moist longer and I put them in my front porch that is covered with a clear roof so sun gets in but not the pounding rains when they come. 

See what you can find around your house that you can put to use as your indoor green house seed starter.


I'll let you know when they start to sprout!

Have a great day!

Marsha

No comments: